Friday, July 6, 2012

Smartphone Touchscreen Keyboard Case

I have always been a fan of smartphone with QWERTY keyboard. Well, not so much of the Blackberry type. I always want to try the type of HTC Desire Z or Motorola Droid, although I have never had one and currently using Blackberry Curve 9300. The reason being is touchscreen QWERTY is not very accurate and you could not type without looking at the screen unless you have been really using your phone for some time. 

I like Windows Phone OS keyboard because it is accurate compared to other OS's keyboard as of my own experience. You could read about the technology here. One of my friends told me iPhone keyboard is nice and accurate. I don't know, but I don't think it is accurate enough. That's when I start thinking why not we make a QWERTY keyboard for touchscreen smartphone that does not require power? I do not mean something like a bluetooth keyboard case such as this. I was thinking this idea: if we can use a capacitive pen input to replace finger, why don't we make QWERTY keys that use the same concept on the phone to match the touchscreen QWERTY?

Well, just on time, I read this project (named Spike) in Kickstarter. Yes. I value very much this idea. I know last time there was someone who made a QWERTY pouch for iPhone (named iTwinge) but I do not think many would want to make their gorgeous iPhone looks like that. Spike would be better, but I do have another idea which touches more of a complete case rather than just for QWERTY.

Apologies for the bad drawing. The basic idea of QWERTY case I came up with is that of the iPhone leather case which cover you can open, modeled like this Capdase. I want the front cover to be flipped open upwards when we want to use the touchscreen only. What is different? The front cover of the case would be comprised of a glass (the yellow portion in the picture) and of a QWERTY (the red part of the picture). The QWERTY is made like Spike, manual and does not need another power source. This way, you could type and see what you are typing, and as a phone case the screen is fully covered.

If possible, I would like the keyboard to look elegant as well, because this idea is dissimilar to Spike in which QWERTY in spike could be hid when not being used. Also, I prefer the case to be universally available, meaning not only for iPhone but also for top notch models of other brands. The problem lies in the marketing as not all gadget accessories sell as good as iPhone accessories :( 

No comments:

Post a Comment