Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Is there a price on design? - Updated

Recently, I have been browsing through laptop catalogs. I found some that have higher price but nicer design and feel. That popped a question in my mind: do we put price on design?

I looked at Sony Vaio S Series. Indeed, for the given specification, it is more expensive compared to other laptop's of similar or even better specification such as from ASUS or HP. However, Vaio S Series has probably the thinnest profile for such size of given specification. Also, it is much lighter than ASUS better counterpart (N series). HP Envy ultrabook, while cheaper, has no CD slot (though not many using it now, but some school work needed to be burnt on CD requires it, thus the inclusion on comparison). HP Pavilion, which best spec has cheaper price, is large in term of size and heavier.

Some laptop are heavier than their look. ASUS N series comes here again. I was considering it when I saw my friend carrying it around. I wanted to see the build quality so I borrowed it from him. It was much heavier than how it looks, especially with its sleek design. HP Envy is light enough, though it is still heavier by a little compared to its look. I found Vaio S as heavy as how it looks. People like to tell me that I am a boy, so I should not fret heavy laptop. But I always like light laptop and possibly of smaller size. Possibly it is just my preference, or that I am just lazy carrying around powerful laptop that is heavy and big.

I decided to put a price on design. I deem it worth the money for all the weight shed and the shrunk size. I would not say the same thing on Mac family, though. I agree that Macs look to have better build, and obviously nothing can beat Macbook Air thin, light and sleek profile yet. But the exorbitant price on Mac may not be comparable to PC since the price put on Mac OS X may be different than that of Windows, thus comparison might not be of equal ground.

*Update:
John Ive (in a small part of the article) talks about how hard it is to measure design, because you cannot associate number with it (unlike hard drive). Probably this is the reason people do not want to put price on design; it is hard to be scaled. http://stratechery.com/2013/jony-ive-is-not-a-graphic-designer/

No comments:

Post a Comment