Monday, December 17, 2012

Homescreen Arrangement

A friend of mine complimented me for my homescreen arrangement. I would like to share it with you all.


Let's start from the dock. I put the essentials on the dock. Calling, SMS, Whatsapp, and Browser (I browse a lot). I removed Contact Book since I can always access it from the Phone.

My home is the center window in the picture above. It only has the clock widget. There is no difference whether you put it analog or digital. The essential is I want my wallpaper to be clear of obstacles. So simply, just clock.

To the left of the home is email windows, while to the right is calendar. Probably my habit from using Blackberry, I need my email and calendar to be forever accessible, and even better, easy viewing. However, I don't want them to fill the whole page alone because that would just waste space.

I scaled down the width of email by one block because I found reducing the width by two blocks make the emails unreadable while full screen and less one block has little difference. This also allows me to put the important shortcuts: Clock - to access alarm, because I found the alarm widget not so user-friendly and too big (2 x 1); Gallery - well, habit; Camera - I am using Samsung Galaxy SIII, so no hardware camera button thus I need the shortcut; and Files - I like to explore folders, but you can replace it with any frequent apps you used.

For the calendar, I reduce the length instead because I found reducing the width by one is ugly, whether more to the right or to the left, probably because the header is big or the position is right of the home. I put the shortcuts below the calendar because above the calendar would make the shortcuts hard to reach on one hand operation. Well, the shortcuts here are less defined: any shortcuts that you like would do. I put Maps because in Singapore it is important for me to have ready access the public transport guide in Google Maps; Dictionary because my vocabulary is bad; S Memo allows me to jot down anything quickly; Google Translate just for fun.

The most right page would be Entertainment Page: Music Widget, Facebook, Instagram, Playstore and Mango (Manga Reader). Nothing much, really. I used to put games' shortcuts as well, but I got bored of the games so I removed them.

To the most left are nothing much, just to fill the pages. I have no logical reason why, probably symmetry, but I found having 5 pages is more appealing than 4 pages (4 pages make the home not the center). So I just put anything that would fill my time - Flipboard and Stock. Assistive Light and Turn Off All Sounds are for convenience, for example when I am walking in dark places and when I am in exam hall just to make sure nothing gives sound alert.

In SIII, there are still 2 more pages that can be used, but since I use nothing more, I just deleted the two pages :D If you have a lot of apps, you could always add more pages for shortcuts only, I suggest to the left or right end.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment